Saturday 5 October 2013

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell



I am fangirling over Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

This is my first book by Rainbow Rowell. I’ve heard so many great things about Rowell’s previous book, Eleanor & Park. People keep talking about the book everywhere, so yes I did a little curious about it. Then I know that she will release new book called “Fangirl” and I should pick it up. And I really glad I did.


Cath and Wren are twin sister and they are Simon Snow's fans, pretty much everyone is. They are not only read the book or watch the movie but Cath (and with Wren’s help) write a fanfiction about Simon Snow. The main story of the fanfic are Simon and his nemesis Baz where they both gay and they are in love. It called fanfic for a reason, they made up the story, their own version story of Simon Snow. And the thing is her fanfiction really famous around the fandom. (What the fuck is ‘the fandom’? Search on google please)

And that now they are heading to college, the place where it supposed to be fun, where someone explore themselves, making friends, go to the party, to fall in love and stuff. But for Cath, she feels uncomfortable with new things around her. She prefer something familiar like Simon Snow and writing fanfiction. Cath rather stay at her room, eat protein bars than try to find dining hall and eat ‘real food’. Contrary to Cath, Wren more social with people around her, she’s even already have a friend before the college started.  And this opposite character between Cath and Wren while on college, drifted the twin apart for quite sometime.

Cath have a roommate name’s Reagan. Reagan is someone that spontaneous and honest. Like how she feels about Simon Snow or how she feels sorry for Cath. Everything that Reagan did to Cath in a good way. She’s the one who show her where the dining hall is and she’s the only friend Cath has. Along the way, Reagan bring positive energy to Cath to living on college.

“I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."
"I don't want to be your friend," Cath said as sternly as she could. "I like that we're not friends."
"Me, too. I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic.”

If Reagan’s there then Levi must be there. Levi is a guy who always around, and by around it mean in their room. Levi is a type of any girl, who doesn’t want to be with him? He smiles a lot (big smile), kind to anyone, super nice, have so many friends, he throws a lot of party, works on Starbucks and most important he’s all over Cath. From the first time Levi has been trying to get Cath out of the room like go to the party but every time Levi is asking her, she keeps refuse not to go. I can see that he really protecting and care about Cath.

Should I talk about Nick? Okay, quick thing about him: He is Cath’s classmate on Fiction-Writing and Cath might have a slight feeling about him until he become a complete ass. Well not exactly an ass. It's something that I can't explain unless you read it.

Story of Cath reminds me of myself when I enter my new school, I feel terrify of something new, meeting new people, with new condition, I have to adapt and get to know things and I keep myself to myself. Social awkward. It was hard and it happened to everyone.

"In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't google.) Like, where does the line start? What food can you take? Where are you supposed to stand, then where are you supposed to sit? Where do you go when you're done, why is everyone watching you?"

Rainbow Rowell did a fantastic job for pointed out to Harry Potter with Simon Snow story. We know there are a lot of people who like Cath and Wren who love series of books (yep, Harry Potter). It tells that Simon Snow wasn’t just a book but its their whole world. They grew up with reading Simon Snow and now the book is about to end. It’s gone. Do you know how it feels to lose something that you are familiar with? I didn’t grow up with reading Harry Potter and I didn’t know how it feels but reading Fangirl, Rowell made every line come to real life, like when they waiting in line on midnight released of Simon Snow and they cry. I can feel it and now I know. Also the description feeling of first love with an excitement, and flirting, and sweetness. And this is the reason why I love Rowell’s writing since, it is incredible. Rowell wreck my emotion from the excitement, fun, dizzy and sad and else. Every character that exist in this book happened for a reason, and I love it and love it and love it. I definitely have a crush on Levi. I describe Fangirl as “MAGICAL”. One of books that made me think about it all the time, even when it’s over the story will always keep in my mind. Rainbow Rowell I am waiting for your next book on 2014.

Favorite quote:
"He's different," Cath said. "He's older. He smokes. And he drinks. And he's probably had sex. I mean he looks like he has."
"I don't just kiss people. Kisses aren't... just with me." 
"You know that I'm falling in love with you right?" 
“What's the plan?' she asked.
"He grinned. 'My plan is to do things that make you want to hang out with me again tomorrow. What's your plan?' 'I'm going to try not to make an ass of myself.' He grinned. 'So we're all set.”
 
Ratings: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment